WICKEDLY INTELLIGENT AND TENDENCY:tending to DECEIVE.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The most general word for craftiness as a negative quality is zhì 智, although very confusingly, this word can also refer to positive wisdom as a virtue.
2. Jiǎo 狡 and huá 猾 (ant. dūn 敦 "obtuse" and perhaps dǔ 篤 "trusty but inept").
3. Qiǎo 巧 (ant. zhuó 拙 "inept") is very common and emphasises the element of skill involved.
Modern Chinese Criteria
刁 diāo is to to be devious.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
astutus and solers refer to cleverness in the invention and execution of a secret project.
callidus refers to sharp-sightedness in judging a complicated question on the basis of broad knowledge.
vafer refers to cunning shrewdness on points of technical proficiency in difficult legal questions.
versutus refers to immoral cunning in the execution of technical difficult things.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 11
- 管子 : 8
- 論語 : 4
- 呂氏春秋 : 4
- 春秋左傳 : 4
- 莊子 : 4
- 說苑 : 3
- 鹽鐵論 : 3
- 陸機集十一卷 : 2
- 淮南子 : 2
- 荀子 : 2
- 阮籍集四卷 : 1
- 長短經 : 1
- 論衡 : 1
- 毛詩 : 1
- 戰國策 : 1
- 老子 : 1
- 韓詩外傳 : 1
- 祖堂集 : 1
- 法句經 : 1
巧 qiǎo OC: khruuʔ MC: khɣɛu 19 Attributions
Qiǎo 巧 (ant. zhuó 拙 "inept") is very common and emphasises the element of skill involved.
- nabactartful conduct, devious action
- v[adN]nonreferentialthe crafty
- vadNcrafty, wickedly shrewd, wily
- vibe wicked and shrewd
- vtoNcausativecause to be crafty, cause to be excessively clever
- vadNsuperficially crafty, pointlessly skillful
狡 jiǎo OC: kreewʔ MC: kɣɛu 11 Attributions
Jiǎo 狡 and huá 猾 (ant. dūn 敦 "obtuse" and perhaps dǔ 篤 "trusty but inept").
- v[adN]swindler; those who are wily
- vadNnimble; wily
- vichangegrow wily; become wily
智 zhì OC: tes MC: ʈiɛ 9 Attributions
The most general word for craftiness as a negative quality is zhì 智, although very confusingly, this word can also refer to positive wisdom as a virtue.
- nabdispositionnegative: craftiness; cleverness, shrewdness
- v[adN]nonreferentialthe shrewd and clever
- vadNshrewd, clever
- vinegatively be wily, shrewd, clever
猾 huá OC: ɡruud MC: ɦɣɛt 4 Attributions
- v[adN]those who are crafty
- vadNslimy, crafty, cunning
- vadVcraftily; cunningly
- vicrafty, cunning
奇 jī OC: kral MC: kiɛ 2 Attributions
- nabactcrafty tricks, indirect stratagems
機 jī OC: kɯl MC: kɨi 2 Attributions
- nadNcontrived and crafty
故 gù OC: kaas MC: kuo̝ 2 Attributions
黠 xiá OC: ɡriid MC: ɦɣɛt 1 Attribution
- vibe (superficially) quick and clever
巧 qiǎo OC: khruuʔ MC: khɣɛu 1 Attribution
- NPabactunderhand tricks
奸巧 gān qiǎo OC: kaan khruuʔ MC: kɑn khɣɛu 1 Attribution
- NPabdispositioncraftiness of any kind
巧故 qiǎo gù OC: khruuʔ kaas MC: khɣɛu kuo̝ 1 Attribution
- NPabactcraftiness; deceitfulness
淫巧 yín qiǎo OC: lɯm khruuʔ MC: jim khɣɛu 1 Attribution
- NP[adN]works of excessive or indulgent craftsmanship
智 zhì OC: tes MC: ʈiɛ 1 Attribution
- NPnonreferentialthe clever and the shrewd
智 zhì 1 Attribution
- nab(.post-N)the craftiness of the contextually determinate N
獪 kuài OC: kloobs MC: kɑi 0 Attributions
- vipost-Han: nimble
智巧 zhì qiǎo OC: tes khruuʔ MC: ʈiɛ khɣɛu 0 Attributions
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: