OBTAIN a THING OFTEN by REMOVING it from its PLACE OR OWNER so as to HAVE it ONESELF.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current general word for to take is qǔ 取.
2. Duó 奪 is to take by force or threat of force.
3. Nián 拈 and cuò 撮 refer to taking by the use of one's fingers only.
4. Jué 攫 refers to picking up something not easy to get hold of.
5. Zhí 執 "hold" is occasionally used inchoatively to mean "take hold of".
6. Tàn 探 refers to the act of stretching out one's hands straining to lay hold something and succeeding in this effort.
Modern Chinese Criteria
拿 is the current modern word for to take.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
demere refers to taking away a part from a whole which thereby becomes smaller.
adimere refers to taking away a possession from a possessor, who thereby becomes poorer.
eximere refers to the taking away something which is oppressing or threatening to damage the person who has it in his own interest.
auferre refers to unduly or illegally taking away anything from anyone.
eripere refers to unduly or illegally taking away something by use of force or by snatching it away deftly.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 20
- 春秋左傳 : 18
- 臨濟錄 : 17
- 說苑 : 9
- 祖堂集 : 9
- 賢愚經 : 8
- 百喻經 : 7
- 荀子 : 4
- 陸機集十一卷 : 4
- 孟子 : 4
- 韓詩外傳 : 4
- 毛詩 : 3
- 六祖壇經 : 3
- 史記 : 2
- 戰國策 : 2
- 論語 : 2
- 呂氏春秋 : 2
- 莊子 : 2
- 春秋穀梁傳 : 2
- 列子 : 1
- 類說 : 1
- 劉義慶世說新語 : 1
- 淮南子 : 1
- 法句經 : 1
取 qǔ OC: skhoʔ MC: tshi̯o 28 Attributions
The current general word for to take is qǔ 取.
- nabactthe grasping after
- viacttake things from others
- vt(oN)take; pick up the contextually determinate N
- vt+VV=resulttake and V
- vtoNtake, pick up
- vtoNfigurativegrasp (with abstract objects); hold on to (an opinion, concept, idea, etc.)
- vttoN1.+N2take N2 from N1; take N1 from N2
- vttoN1.+N2reflexive.自take N2 for (oneself)
- vttoN1.+prep+N2figurativeaccept or take (something N1) (from somebody N2); learn (something N1) from (somebody N2) 取諸人
- vttoN1.+prep+N2取諸其懷to take (a certain amount or part N1) (from a whole or a place N2), to pick out (something N1) (from a larger group N2)
奪 duó OC: dood MC: dʷɑt 25 Attributions
Duó 奪 is to take by force or threat of force.
- vadNtaken, which one has taken
- vtoNstruggle to obtain, wrest from; wrest power away from; snatch away
- vtoNfigurativetake away, snatch away
- vtoNlegallytake away (as is one's right to do)
- vtoNpassivebe taken away, be snatched away
- vtoNfigurativebe taken away, be snatched away
- vttoN1.+N2take away (from someone N1) (something N2)
- vttoN1.+prep+N2take N1 away from N2
- vtoNget hold of an N that is not originally under one's control> snatch away
- vtt[oN1.+N2]take things away from people
援 yuán OC: ɢʷan MC: ɦi̯ɐn 16 Attributions
- vtoNpull towards one (an object not larger than oneself); pick up; take control of
- vt(oN)figurativeto hold back (a contextually determinate object);
拈 nián OC: mɢleem MC: nem 12 Attributions
Nián 拈 and cuò 撮 refer to taking by the use of one's fingers only.
- vt(oN:)ad.vtoSfigurativetake up (i.e. orally cite) (a contextually defined N which usually refers to a previously stated question or problem) and say/ask (nián seems to be used quite technically by Zen historians in order to mark a break in the narrative: a certain case/problem of discussion is cited orally to a master and a commentary is expected)
- vt(oN.)ad:vttoN.+Sfigurativetake up (i.e. orally cite) (a contextually defined Nab which usually refers to a previously stated question or problem) and say/ask a person (nián seems to be used quite technically by Zen historians in order to mark a break in the narrative: a certain case/problem of discussion is cited orally to a master and a commentary is expected)
- vt(oN)hold between one's fingers; pick up (with contextually determinate N)
- vtoNSHUOWEN: hold between two or three fingers; take between two fingers; pick up; pluck (flowers)
持 chí OC: ɡrlɯ MC: ɖɨ 7 Attributions
- vt(oN)continuoustake along
- vtoN.adVtake N and V it
- vtoNinchoativepick up; take
抽 chōu OC: rlʰiw MC: ʈhɨu 4 Attributions
- vtoNpull out so as to take (often hard to distinguish from PULL out so as to use 抽觴
執 zhí OC: tjib MC: tɕip 3 Attributions
Zhí 執 "hold" is occasionally used inchoatively to mean "take hold of".
- vtoNinchoativetake (a person's hand)
將 jiāng OC: skaŋ MC: tsi̯ɐŋ 3 Attributions
- vtoNtake N (and go on to V)
攝 shè OC: qhljeb MC: ɕiɛp 3 Attributions
- nabactillegal take-over
- vtoNtake hold of (often by irregular means)
- vtoNfigurativegrab (power) by irregular means
攬 lǎn OC: ɡ-raamʔ MC: lɑm 3 Attributions
- vtoNgrasp, take; pluck; stir
- vtoNfigurativefocus on intellectually and stir into action
收 shōu OC: qjiw MC: ɕɨu 3 Attributions
- vtoNpick up (what is lying around); snatch
搏 bó OC: paaɡ MC: pɑk 2 Attributions
- vtoNLAO 55; capture by beating with wings in order to immobilise prey; capture (often alive)
撫 fǔ OC: mʰaʔ MC: phi̯o 2 Attributions
- vtoNreach for; reach for (so as to drink)
翦 jiǎn OC: tsenʔ MC: tsiɛn 2 Attributions
- vtoNpassivehave taken away from one
收取 shōu qǔ OC: qjiw skhoʔ MC: ɕɨu tshi̯o 2 Attributions
- VPt(oN)take into one's possession
舉 jǔ OC: klaʔ MC: ki̯ɤ 2 Attributions
- vtoNpick up, collect
操 cāo MC: tshaw OC: tshaaw 2 Attributions
- vtoNinchoativetake hold of so as to wield
捉 zhuō OC: tsrooɡ MC: ʈʂɣɔk 1 Attribution
- vtoNtake 捉水
摻 shǎn OC: sruumʔ MC: ʂɣɛm 1 Attribution
- vtoNgrasp; hold firmly
撮 cuō OC: skhood MC: tshʷɑt 1 Attribution
Nián 拈 and cuō 撮 refer to taking by the use of one's fingers only.
- vtoNZZ: pick up between two or three fingers [also: catch][CA]
攫 jué OC: kʷaɡ MC: ki̯ɐk 1 Attribution
Jué 攫 refers to picking up something not easy to get hold of.
- vtoNZZ 995: (of monkey) pick up things or hang onto things with one's feet; LAO 55: prone to pick up prey with one's legs (as birds); HANSHU: pick up and capture with one's feet (as a bird)
禽 qín OC: ɡrɯm MC: gim 1 Attribution
- vt[oN]pick up [the left ear of a slain enemy soldier]??
解取 jiě qǔ OC: kreeʔ skhoʔ MC: kɣɛ tshi̯o 1 Attribution
- VPtoNresultativeuntie so as to take away
持歸 chí guī MC: dri kjw+j OC: ɡrlɯ klul 1 Attribution
- VPt(oN)take the contextually determinate N home
援得 yuán dé dé de děi MC: hjwon tok OC: ɢʷan tɯɯɡ 1 Attribution
- VPtoNresultativeget hold of
扼 è OC: qreeɡ MC: ʔɣɛk 0 Attributions
- vtoNwrench (wrists)
拮 jié OC: kiid MC: ket 0 Attributions
挎 kū OC: khʷlaa MC: khuo̝ 0 Attributions
- vtoNK: to insert the hand (and grasp) (YILI)
捏 niē OC: m-liiɡ MC: net 0 Attributions
- vtoNpick up with one's fingers
捽 zuó OC: sɡuud MC: dzuot 0 Attributions
- vtoNgrasp by the hair ????
探 tàn OC: kh-luum MC: thəm 0 Attributions
Tàn 探 refers to the act of stretching out one's hands straining to lay hold something and succeeding in this effort.
- vtoNstretch out one's hand(s) to take or get hold of
褫 chǐ OC: rlʰɯʔ MC: ʈhɨ 0 Attributions
- vtoNtake away
取將 qǔ jiāng OC: skhoʔ skaŋ MC: tshi̯o tsi̯ɐŋ 0 Attributions
- VPt(oN)omtake, bring, grasp (with contextually determinate object)
拈掇 nián duó OC: mɢleem k-lood MC: nem tʷɑt 0 Attributions
- VPt(oN)get hold of, take, pick up
攫取 jué qǔ OC: kʷaɡ skhoʔ MC: ki̯ɐk tshi̯o 0 Attributions
- VPt(oN)omtake the contextually determinate N
MC: OC: 0 Attributions
- vtoNinchoativetake hold of so as to wield
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: