THICK BECAUSE CONTAIING THICK PARTS.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The dominant word for anything physically or otherwise coarsE and not fine or subtle is cū 粗 / 麤 (ant. xì 細 "fine" and jīng 精 "subtle and exquisite"). See also ORDINARY
2. Shū 疏 (ant. liáng 粱 "exquisite (of food)") refers typically to poor quality coarse food.
Modern Chinese Criteria
粗笨 refers to clumsy unwieldiness, and the word is marginal in the group.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
horridus is the general word for whatever is rough and rugged.
hirtus and hisrsutus refer particularly to what is covered with rough hair or a rough surface and is therefore not soft and smooth.
hispidus refers to roughness of surface that offends the eye.
asper refers to the roughness of a surface especially insofar as it my cause injury or cause pain.
asper, -era, -erum 'rough, harsh' [adj. o/a] (P1.+)
Derivatives: asperare 'to make rough' (Varro+), exasperare 'id.' (Liv.+).
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 論語 : 6
- 禮記 : 4
- 賢愚經 : 4
- 呂氏春秋 : 3
- 春秋左傳 : 3
- 莊子 : 2
- 百喻經 : 2
- 臨濟錄 : 2
- 韓非子 : 2
- 說苑 : 1
- 論衡 : 1
- 法言 : 1
- 文子 : 1
粗 / 麤 cū OC: skhaa MC: tshuo̝ cū OC: tshaa MC: tshuo̝ 16 Attributions
The dominant word for anything physically or otherwise coarsE and not fine or subtle is cū 粗/麤 (ant. xì 細 "fine" and jīng 精"subtle and exquisite"). See also ORDINARY The dominant word for anything physically or otherwise coarsE and not fine or subtle is cū 粗/麤 (ant. xì 細 "fine" and jīng 精"subtle and exquisite"). See also ORDINARY
- vi(physically) rough, coarse, crude
- nabstativecoarseness, crudeness
- v[adN]N=nonhuwhat is coarse or crude
- vadNcoarse, crude; oversized
- vifigurative(figuratively, transferred sense:) be unsubtle, be coarse LIJI 10.32 coarse (of ceremonies); LIJI 10.39f: coarse (of people)
- vimetaZZ 17.593: be crude and visible (parts of the material world)
疏 shū OC: sqra MC: ʂi̯ɤ 5 Attributions
Shū 疏 (ant. liáng 粱 "exquisite (of food)") refers typically to poor quality coarse food.
- vadNcoarse, unrefined (food) 疏食
- vibe coarse (of vessels)
大 dà OC: daads MC: dɑi 2 Attributions
- vadNcoarse (e.g. cloth)
粗強 cū qiáng OC: skhaa ɡaŋ MC: tshuo̝ gi̯ɐŋ 2 Attributions
- VPicoarse and tough
侗 tóng OC: looŋ MC: duŋ 1 Attribution
- vibe unpolished, be uncivilised
唁 yàn OC: ŋrans MC: ŋiɛn 1 Attribution
- vibe crude, uncivilised, unpolished in one's behaviour French: "inculte"
絞 jiǎo OC: kreewʔ MC: kɣɛu 1 Attribution
- vibe crude and unpolished (in what one says); uncivilised and unduly familiar
草 cǎo OC: tshuuʔ MC: tshɑu 1 Attribution
- nadVroughly; coarsly
觕 cū OC: tshaa MC: tshuo̝ 1 Attribution
- vigross; coarse
粗澀 cū sè OC: skhaa MC: tshuo̝ ʂip 1 Attribution
- VPibe all crude
八升 bā bá shēng MC: peat sying OC: preed -- 1 Attribution
- VPadNmade of coarse fabric
苴 jū OC: ska MC: tsi̯ɤ 0 Attributions
固 gù OC: kaas MC: kuo̝ 0 Attributions
- vibe coarse, unsubtle; unpolished, uncivilised
野 yě OC: laʔ MC: jɣɛ 0 Attributions
- vadNfigurativeunsophisticated; unembellished
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: