COMMON DOMESTIC OR WILD ANIMAL which HAS FOUR LEGS. [BIOLOGY; CANIS]
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current general literary word for a dog is quǎn 犬.
2. Gǒu 狗 is a colloquial word for a dog (according to some early commentators a small dog, and it is plausible that the colloquial word may have referred to the small dog in particular).
3. Máng 尨 refers to a shaggy, mangy dog, and this rare word has an archaic and poetic flavour.
NB: The various other designations for dogs recorded in early dictionaries are not in general use.
Inicdentally, already in Han times dogs' meat was regarded a delicacy. Fan Kuai 樊噲, the aide to the first emperor of the Han, was a dog-butcher.
HUANG JINGUI 2006
Modern Chinese Criteria
first rough draft to identify synonym group members for future analysis, based on CL. 18.11.2003. CH
canes, -is 'dog' [m.f. «] (P1.+; nom-sg. usually canis, but older canes in Enn., PL,
Lucil., Varro (all lx), abl.sg. cane, gen.pl. canum) j
Derivatives: camcula 'bitch' (PI.+); dog-star, Sirius; dog-fish or shark' (Varro+),
cariimis 'of a dog' (PI.+).
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 15
- 春秋左傳 : 8
- 荀子 : 3
- 老子 : 3
- 說苑 : 2
- 論衡 : 2
- 毛詩 : 2
- 孟子 : 2
- 禮記 : 1
- 列子 : 1
- 論語 : 1
- 山海經 : 1
- 戰國策 : 1
- 史記 : 1
- 韓詩外傳 : 1
- 尚書 : 1
狗 gǒu OC: kooʔ MC: ku 25 Attributions
Gǒu 狗is a colloquial word for a dog (according to some early commentators a small dog, and it is plausible that the colloquial word may have referred to the small dog in particular).
- noriginally: puppy, also the young of bears and tigers; mostely generally: dog
- nadNfigurativedoglike; dog of an N 狗賊
- nadVanalogylike a dog
犬 quǎn OC: khʷeenʔ MC: khen 13 Attributions
The current general literary word for a dog is quǎn 犬.
- nadVanalogylike a dog SHIJI: 犬吠
尨 máng OC: mrooŋ MC: mɣɔŋ 3 Attributions
Máng 尨 refers to a shaggy, mangy dog, and this rare word has an archaic and poetic flavour.
- nshaggy dog
獒 áo OC: ŋoow MC: ŋɑu 2 Attributions
refers to the large Tibetan mastiff.
- nlarge fierce dog
貆 huán OC: ɢoon MC: ɦʷɑn 1 Attribution
- nsmall raccoon dog; badger
吠狗 fèi gǒu OC: bods kooʔ MC: bi̯ɐi ku 1 Attribution
- NPreferential: watch-dog
犴 án OC: ŋɡaan MC: ŋɑn 0 Attributions
- nwild dog SHANHAIJING: 青犴
狡 jiǎo OC: kreewʔ MC: kɣɛu 0 Attributions
- nyoung dog
猘 zhì OC: kreds MC: kiɛi 0 Attributions
- nP: mad dog
猲 xiē OC: qhad MC: hi̯ɐt 0 Attributions
- nkind of dog
獫 xiǎn OC: qhromʔ MC: hiɛm 0 Attributions
- nkind of dog
玁 xiǎn OC: qhramʔ MC: hiɛm 0 Attributions
- ndog with a long snout
豻 àn OC: ŋɡaans MC: ŋɑn 0 Attributions
Tibetan mastiff with a black snout. (Han)
- nsmall wild dog of the steppe resembling a fox
狡犬 jiǎo quǎn OC: kreewʔ khʷeenʔ MC: kɣɛu khen 0 Attributions
- NPreddish Tibetan mastiff with a large snout (given as tribute by the Xiongnu)
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: