BLOCK a DOOR OR A GATE in an ORDINARY WAY.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The most general word for closing anything is probably bì 閉.
2. Guān 關 refers specifically to shut and lock a door with a bolt.
3. Jiǒng 扃 refers to closing and locking a door from the outside.
4. Hé 闔 is an archaic and dignified word for closing something, mostly a door.
5. Mán 瞞 refers occassionally to closing one's eyes.
6. Fēng 封 can refer to closing and sealing something.
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 禮記 : 6
- 祖堂集 : 6
- 春秋左傳 : 4
- 韓非子 : 4
- 韓詩外傳 : 4
- 賢愚經 : 2
- 百喻經 : 2
- 臨濟錄 : 2
- 戰國策 : 1
- 阮籍集四卷 : 1
- 莊子 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
- 翻譯名義集 : 1
- 史記 : 1
- 文子 : 1
閉 bì OC: piids MC: pei 21 Attributions
The most general word for closing anything is probably bì 閉.
- vtoNclose (door so as to let no one in); lock up, bolt; close (mouth); shut (one's eyes)
- vtoNfigurativeshut off (figuratively)
- vtoNpassivebe locked; be closed; be blocked
闔 hé OC: ɡaab MC: ɦɑp 6 Attributions
Hé 闔 is an archaic and dignified word for closing something, mostly a door.
- vibe closed; get closed
- viactshut the door; keep the door closed
- vtoNclose (door)
- vt(oN)keep the contextually determinate N shut
合 hé OC: ɡloob MC: ɦəp 2 Attributions
- vt(oN)close the contextually determinate object
- vt[oN]reflexiveclose oneself (as a mussel)
鎖 suǒ OC: soolʔ MC: sʷɑ 2 Attributions
- vtoNto shut; to lock (with a key)
- vtoNmiddle voicebe locked (away) (behind, at)
封 fēng OC: poŋ MC: pi̯oŋ 1 Attribution
Fēng 封 can refer to closing and sealing something.
- vtoNbe hemmed in by
掩 yǎn OC: qromʔ MC: ʔiɛm 1 Attribution
- vtoNpost-Han, Tang: close the door
牢 láo OC: ruu MC: lɑu 1 Attribution
- vtoNclose firmly
封閉 fēng bì OC: poŋ piids MC: pi̯oŋ pei 1 Attribution
- VPtoNmiddle voicebe shut and sealed, be closed, be locked
閉卻 bì què OC: piids khaɡ MC: pei khi̯ɐk 1 Attribution
- VPtoNresultativeshut, lock (a door)
瞑 mián MC: men OC: meen 1 Attribution
- vtoNclose (one's eyes)
扃 jiōng OC: kʷeeŋ MC: keŋ 0 Attributions
Jiǒng 扃 refers to closing and locking a door from the outside.
- vtoNWENZI: lock (from the outside) so that those inside cannot get out
- vtoNpassivebe locked up (from the outside)
瞞 mán OC: mboon MC: mʷɑn 0 Attributions
Mán 瞞 refers occassionally to closing one's eyes.
- vt[oN]shut the eyes
關 guān OC: kroon MC: kɣan 0 Attributions
Guān 關 refers specifically to shut and lock a door with a bolt.
- vtoNlock door with a shuān 閂
牢閉 láo bì OC: ruu piids MC: lɑu pei 0 Attributions
- VPt(oN)shut the contextually determinate (door) firmly
瞑 mián MC: men OC: meen 0 Attributions
- vtoNclose (one's eyes)
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: