STRIKE so as to PRODUCE a SOUND.
STRIKEDISPLACE something VIOLENTLY TOWARDS something, OFTEN IN-ORDER-TO DAMAGE IT. -> DISPLACECAUSE to MOVE. -> MOVECHANGE PLACE OR SITUATION. -> CHANGEEVENT involving two MOMENTS t1 and t2, such that a THING at the MOMENT t1 is DIFFERENT FROM that THING at the MOMENT t2. -> EVENTREALITY that ARISES in TIME. -> REALITYEXIST and NOT ONLY BE IMAGINED. -> EXISTBE-IN the UNIVERSE of SPACE AND TIME. -> BE INRELATION between a THING AND what that THING FILLS OR PART:partially FILLS. -> RELATIONFEATURE of TWO OR MORE THINGS TOGETHER. -> FEATUREABSTRACT OBJECT a THING is SAID to BE OR to HAVE. -> OBJECT[NO HYPERNYM.] WHAT one CAN NAME:refer to. -> PRIME -> N/A
Old Chinese Criteria
1. A general word for knocking against something, typically so as to produce a sound, is kòu 叩.
2. Zhuàng 撞 is to knock hard against something (e.g. a bell), and it is hard to see how this is different in meaning from jī 擊 "knock"
3. Bó 搏 is to tap against (e.g. one's thighs).
4. Pāi 拍 (HF: 一手獨拍 "one hand clapping alone") refers specifically to the beating or clapping of a surface, often for the purpose of making a sound.
- SYNONYMES FRANÇOIS, LEURS DIFFÉRENTES SIGNIFICATIONS, ET LE CHOIX QU'IL EN FAUT FAIRE Pour parler avec justesse
- Handbook of Greek Synonymes, from the French of M. Alex. Pillon, Librarian of the Bibliothèque Royale , at Paris, and one of the editors of the new edition of Plaché's Dictionnaire Grec-Français, edited, with notes, by the Rev. Thomas Kerchever Arnold, M.A. Rector of Lyndon, and late fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 論衡 : 13
- 毛詩 : 10
- 禮記 : 9
- 祖堂集 : 8
- 呂氏春秋 : 7
- 淮南子 : 6
- 荀子 : 5
- 史記 : 5
- 莊子 : 5
- 陸機集十一卷 : 4
- 楚辭 : 4
- 列子 : 4
- 管子 : 3
- 說苑 : 2
- 韓詩外傳 : 2
- 春秋穀梁傳 : 2
- 孟子 : 2
- 韓非子 : 1
- 阮籍集四卷 : 1
- 妙法蓮華經 : 1
- 法句經 : 1
- 賢愚經 : 1
- 孝經 : 1
- 臨濟錄 : 1
擊 jī OC: keeɡ MC: kek 24 Attributions
- vt(oN)knock the contextually determinate object
- vtoNknock against (mostly drums but also bells) so as to produce a sound; knock (at a gate)
叩 kòu OC: khooʔ MC: khu 19 Attributions
A general word for knocking against something, typically so as to produce a sound, is kòu 叩.
- vtoNknock at; strike against so as to make a sound
- vtoNfigurativestrike (a note)
- vtoNobject=headknock (head etc) against the ground (see 叩頭)
鼓 gǔ OC: kaaʔ MC: kuo̝ 10 Attributions
- vtoNknock (bell etc); strike (a note on a drum)
敲 qiào OC: khroows MC: khɣɛu 6 Attributions
- vtoNpound, hammer; knock at (a gate)
拊 fǔ OC: phoʔ MC: phi̯o 5 Attributions
- vtoNslap, tap; knock together
撞 chuáng OC: rdooŋ MC: ɖɣɔŋ 5 Attributions
Zhuàng 撞 is to knock hard against something (e.g. a bell), and it is hard to see how this is different in meaning from jī 擊 "knock"
- vadNpassivestruck (bell etc)
- vtoNstrike (a bell)
擗 / 辟 / 闢 pǐ OC: beɡ MC: biɛk pì OC: beɡ MC: biɛk pì OC: beɡ MC: biɛk 5 Attributions
Bì 擗 refers specifically to beating one's breast. Bì 擗 refers specifically to beating one's breast. Bì 擗 refers specifically to beating one's breast.
- viactbeat one's breast (check pronunciation: pǐ?)
觸 chù OC: thjoɡ MC: tɕhi̯ok 5 Attributions
- vtoNknock against (producing a sound)
- vtoNrun into
扣 kòu OC: khoos MC: khu 4 Attributions
- vtoNknock (a bell etc)
伐 fá OC: bod MC: bi̯ɐt 3 Attributions
- vtoNbeat, knock against (typically a drum, and ceremoniously) so as to produce a sound
拍 pāi OC: phraaɡ MC: phɣɛk 3 Attributions
Pāi 拍 (HF: 一手獨拍 "one hand clapping alone") refers specifically to the beating or clapping of a surface, often for the purpose of making a sound.
- viactto clap; to beat
- vt(oN)hit, clap, beat
- vtoNtap, beat, clap
奏 zòu OC: skoos MC: tsu 1 Attribution
- vtoNknock something so as to produce a sound
拂 fú OC: phɯd MC: phi̯ut 1 Attribution
- vtoNwhisk against
搏 bó OC: paaɡ MC: pɑk 1 Attribution
Bó 搏 is to tap against (e.g. one's thighs).
- vtoNclap against, tap on (one's thighs), beat against so as to produce a sound
摽 biào OC: bewʔ MC: biɛu 1 Attribution
- viactknock one's breast
椎 chuí OC: ɡrlul MC: ɖi 1 Attribution
- vtoNhammer or knock against
毃 què OC: khroowɡ MC: khɣɔk 1 Attribution
- vtoNknock against; beat against
鳴 míng OC: mreŋ MC: mɣaŋ 1 Attribution
- vtoNcausativecause to sound; to sound (a bell)
擊鼓 jī gǔ OC: keeɡ kaaʔ MC: kek kuo̝ 1 Attribution
- VPtoNknock or pluck (musical instruments
擊戾 jī lì MC: kek lejH OC: keeɡ rɯɯds 1 Attribution
- VPt[oN]to bump againt things
夆 féng OC: boŋ MC: bi̯oŋ 0 Attributions
- vtoNknock against (SHUOWEN) ???
抵 dǐ OC: tiilʔ MC: tei 0 Attributions
犯 fàn OC: bomʔ MC: bi̯ɐm 0 Attributions
- vtoNknock against (a trigger)
硩 chè OC: khrled MC: ʈhiɛt 0 Attributions
- vtoNto knock down (ZHOULI) ???
頓 dùn OC: tuuns MC: tuo̝n 0 Attributions
- vtoNstamp (one's feet) on the ground; knock (one's head) against the ground
擊 jī OC: keeɡ MC: kek 0 Attributions
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: