SPORT of SHOOTING at a TARGET USING BOW AND ARROW.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The dominant general term is shè 射 and this word refers to all kinds of shooting with a bow, particularly ritualised archery, and the word refers to all parts of the process of shooting.
2. Yì 弋 refers to (often ritualised) shooting for pleasure at birds with a short arrow with strings attached.
3. Fā 發 refers specifically to letting off an arrow as the final act of the shooting process. See SHOOT
Modern Chinese Criteria
first rough draft to identify synonym group members for future analysis, based on CL. 18.11.2003. CH/
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 12
- 春秋左傳 : 6
- 論語 : 5
- 史記 : 4
- 孟子 : 3
- 說苑 : 1
- 呂氏春秋 : 1
- 禮記 : 1
- 管子 : 1
射 shè OC: ɢljaɡs MC: ʑɣɛ 17 Attributions
The dominant general term is shè 射and this word refers to all kinds of shooting with a bow, particularly ritualised archery. [GENERAL]
- v[adN]OBI 3: archer, practioner of the art of archery
- viactengage in archery
- vtoNN=arrowshoot in archery contest (arrow); shoot off (an arrow)
- vtoNobject=targetshoot at (target)
弋 yì OC: lɯɡ MC: jɨk 12 Attributions
Yì 弋 refers to (often ritualised) shooting for pleasure at birds with a short arrow with strings attached. [SPECIFIC]
- nabactthe hunting of birds with stringed short arrows
- viactshoot birds with stringed short arrows
- vtoNactshoot (short arrow with string attached)
控弦 kòng xián OC: khooŋs ɡeen MC: khuŋ ɦen 4 Attributions
Kòng xián 控弦 is another term for pulling a bowstring.
- VP[adN]professional archer
決 jué OC: kʷeed MC: ket 1 Attribution
Jué 決 is a ring made of bone which protects ones finger when shooting. It can also refer to pulling a bow.
- nfinger-protectors, protecting devices for the finger with which to pull the string of bow???
引弓 yǐn gōng OC: liŋʔ kʷɯŋ MC: jin kuŋ 0 Attributions
Yǐn gōng 引弓 also refers to pulling a bow.
- VPiactpull the bow
引繳 yǐn jiǎo OC: liŋʔ kleewʔ MC: jin keu 0 Attributions
Yǐn jiǎo 引繳 is a specific term for shooting birds in flight with a bow.
- VPiactshoot birds in flight with a bow
彎弧 wān hú OC: qroon ɡʷaa MC: ʔɣan ɦuo̝ 0 Attributions
Wān hú 彎弧 is pulling a bow as one regards the bow.
- VPiactpull the bow as one regards the bow????
牽弓 qiān gōng OC: khiin kʷɯŋ MC: khen kuŋ 0 Attributions
Qiān gōng 牽弓 refers to pulling a bow so see how flexible it is.
- VPiactpull a bow so see how flexible it is
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: