DILIGENT IN-RELATION-TO AVOIDING DANGER.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The dominant general word referring to wariness and circumspect action is shèn 慎 (ant. hū 忽 "slipshod").
2. Jǐng 警 (ant. shū 疏 "fail to take seriously") emphasises awareness of danger.
3. Jiè 戒 (ant. lè 略 "fail to take heed") emphasises awareness of previous warnings.
4. Bì 毖 (ant. chéng 懲 "take one's warning from, take (a matter of a past) as a warning") is an archaic word for being on one's guard.
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
caveo 'to take care, beware' [v.; pf. cavi, ppp. cautus II] (Naev.+)
Derivatives: cautus 'on one's guard, wary' (P1.+), cautiO 'care, precaution' (P1.+),
cautor 'one who takes precautions' (P1.+), cautela 'caution' (P1.+); praecaveo 'to be
on one's guard' (P1.+).
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 荀子 : 10
- 韓非子 : 7
- 春秋左傳 : 6
- 說苑 : 4
- 論語 : 4
- 呂氏春秋 : 2
- 莊子 : 2
- 孟子 : 2
- 法集要頌經 : 2
- 漢書 : 1
- 太平經 : 1
- 禮記 : 1
- 毛詩 : 1
- 楚辭 : 1
- 尚書 : 1
慎 shèn OC: djins MC: dʑin 24 Attributions
The dominant general word referring to wariness and circumspect action is shèn 慎 (ant. hū 忽 "slipshod").
- vibe wary
- vt+prep+Nbe careful and wary about; be wary in
- vt+Vbe careful/wary about V-ing
- vtoNbe wary of, be careful about
- vtoNimperativebe cautious about N
- vtoNpassivebe carefully thought about
- vtoNpsychbe careful about (oneself)
- vtoNbe careful about, be cautious about!
戒 jiè OC: krɯɯɡs MC: kɣɛi 10 Attributions
Jiè 戒 (ant. lyuè 略 "fail to take heed") emphasises awareness of previous warnings.
- nabactcautionary rules, rules of circumspection
- nabactBUDDH: cautionary rules, habitual action, habits of conduct (see also FORBID); SANSKRIT śīla, PALI sīla
- vibe warned i.e. circumspect; be vigilant; take precautionary measures
- vtoNbe cautious and diligent with respect to (one's own behaviour etc)
警 jǐng OC: kreŋʔ MC: kɣaŋ 3 Attributions
Jǐng 警 (ant. shū 疏 "fail to take seriously") emphasises awareness of danger.
- vtoNbe wary about, be on one's guard against
- viactbe cautious in action
謹慎 jǐn shèn MC: kj+nX -- OC: klɯnʔ -- 2 Attributions
- VPtoNpsychbe careful about (oneself)
- VPibe careful, be prudent
謹 jǐn 2 Attributions
- vibe cautious
毖 bì OC: priɡs MC: pi 1 Attribution
Bì 毖 (ant. chéng 懲 "take one's warning from, take (a matter of a past) as a warning") is an archaic word for being on one's guard.
- vtoNbe on one's guard against, be wary of
誡 jiè OC: krɯɯɡs MC: kɣɛi 1 Attribution
- vibe cautious
詳 xiáng MC: zjang OC: sɢlaŋ 1 Attribution
- vibe cautious, investigating things in detail before proceeding
小 xiǎo MC: sjewX OC: smewʔ 1 Attribution
- visubject=nonhumanbe cautious (of mind, attitude)
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: