WEAPON one USES to SHOOT ARROWS with.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current general word for the bow is gōng 弓, and it must be remembered that in early times the bow was used not only to shoot arrows but also mud pellets and the like.
2. Nǔ 弩 refers specifically to the crossbow which became current in Warring States times.
3. Hú 弧 refers specifically to an ancient "primitive" bow.
4. Dǐ 弤 refers to a beautifully crafted lacquered bow, and it is the rare name of the legendary emperor Shùn's 舜 mythical bow.
NB: The following are late words relevant to this group:
5. Chāo 弨 refers to an unstrung bow.
6.Shāo 弰 refers to the end of a bow.
HUANG JINGUI 2006
WARFARE 12. 彈射兵器。
Modern Chinese Criteria
first rough draft to identify synonym group members for future analysis, based on CL. 18.11.2003. CH
Armbrust and Armbrustschuetze:
There are plenty of Han relief representations of the crossbow.
Common in Han reliefs.
arcus, -us 'bow; arch' [m. (f. Ix in Enn.) u] (P1.+; gen.sg. arqui Cic., Lucr., nom.pl.
Derivatives: arquites 'archers' (Paul, ex F.), arcitenens/arquitenens 'that carries a
bow' (Naev.+), arcuatus, arquatus 'bow-shaped' (Var.+).
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 春秋左傳 : 7
- 韓非子 : 6
- 禮記 : 4
- 呂氏春秋 : 4
- 論語 : 3
- 孟子 : 3
- 公孫龍子 : 2
- 說苑 : 2
- 戰國策 : 2
- 阮籍集四卷 : 1
- 管子 : 1
- 荀子 : 1
- 法言 : 1
弓 gōng OC: kʷɯŋ MC: kuŋ 20 Attributions
The current general word for the bow is gōng 弓, and it must be remembered that in early times the bow was used not only to shoot arrows but also mud pellets and the like.
弩 nǔ OC: naaʔ MC: nuo̝ 5 Attributions
Nǔ 弩 refers specifically to the crossbow which became current in Warring States times.
- ncross-bow with release mechanism
弧 hú OC: ɡʷaa MC: ɦuo̝ 4 Attributions
Hú 弧 refers specifically to an ancient "primitive" bow.
- nwooden bow; general name for a bow
- nprthe star constellations Bow
鞠躬 jū gōng OC: kuɡ kʷɯŋ MC: kuk kuŋ 3 Attributions
- VPiintensitivebow politely, be all bows
弤 dǐ OC: tiilʔ MC: tei 1 Attribution
Dǐ 弤 is the exceedingly rare name of emperor Shùn's 舜 mythical bow.
- nproper namebow of the emperor Shùn
弭 mǐ OC: meʔ MC: miɛ 1 Attribution
- na kind of bow (SHI)
拱手 gǒng shǒu MC: kjowngX syuwX OC: koŋʔ hmljuʔ 1 Attribution
- VPibow slightly with arms straight down
翔 xiáng MC: zjang OC: sɢlaŋ 1 Attribution
- viflap one's arms like bird's wings when bowing
折 zhé MC: tsyet OC: kljed 1 Attribution
弨 chāo OC: khljew MC: tɕhiɛu 0 Attributions
Chāo 弨 refers to an unstrung bow.
- nrelaxed bow, unstrung bow
弰 shāo OC: smreew MC: ʂɣɛu 0 Attributions
Shāo 弰 refers to the end of a bow.
- nend of a bow
矢 shǐ OC: lʰiʔ MC: ɕi 0 Attributions
- nbolt of the crossbow
錡 yǐ OC: ŋɡralʔ MC: ŋiɛ 0 Attributions
- nframe for hanging crossbows
顉 ǎn OC: ŋɡɯɯmʔ MC: ŋəm 0 Attributions
- viactnod the head (SHUOWEN)
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: