DECIDE, as HAVING AUTHORITY, whether someone is GUILTY OR INNOCENT, OR whether an ACCUSATION OR SENTENCE:statement is TRUE OR FALSE.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The general legal term for passing judgement is lùn 論.
2. Dāng 當 is to sit in judgment of a matter and determine guilt.
3. Duàn 斷 is the conclusion of the process of legal investigation.
4. Bào 報 refers to the announcement of the judgment passed.
5. Lǐ 理 refers to the office of the person who is professionally in charge of passing judgment, the judge.
HUANG JINGUI 2006
Modern Chinese Criteria
33. Varro, IV de Ling. Lat.
33. Inter Arbitrum et judicem. Arbiter ex voluntate fit, judex ex lege.
arbiter, -tri 'eye-witness; judge' [m. o] (Lex XII+)
Derivatives: arbitrari 'to witness, judge' (P1.+), arbitratus, -us 'decision,
judgement'; arbitrium /arbiterium 'arbitration, settlement' (Lex XII, Cic.+).
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 7
- 呂氏春秋 : 2
- 荀子 : 1
- 說苑 : 1
- 論語 : 1
- 論衡 : 1
- 管子 : 1
- 莊子 : 1
- 百喻經 : 1
- 祖堂集 : 1
論 lùn OC: ɡ-ruuns MC: luo̝n 10 Attributions
The general legal term for passing judgement is lùn 論.
- nabactthe public passing of judgments; the drawing of conclusions
- nabopinionjudgement, considered opinion
- vt[oN]to judge
- vtoNjudge the quality of; pass judgment on; determine guilt and assign punishment
- vtoNpassivebe judged
- vtt(oN1.)+N2assess someone determinate N1 as (guilty of being an N2)
判 pàn OC: phaans MC: phʷɑn 2 Attributions
- vtoNpass judgment on
- vtoSjudge that
占 zhān OC: kljem MC: tɕiɛm 1 Attribution
- vttoN.+VtoSdiagnose (a patient, saying...)
斷 duàn OC: toons MC: tʷɑn 1 Attribution
Duàn 斷 is the conclusion of the process of legal investigation.
- vt+prep+Npassivebe imposed by way of judgment on N
- vtoNdetermine the merits of a case put forward; pass the final judgment
大理 dà lǐ OC: daads ɡ-rɯʔ MC: dɑi lɨ 1 Attribution
問 wèn OC: mɯns MC: mi̯un 1 Attribution
- vtoNinvestigate and pass legal judgment on 問死罪
- vtoNpassivebe judged for N
義 yì MC: ngjeH OC: ŋrals 1 Attribution
- vt[oN]= yi4 議: publicly judge others
坐 zuò OC: sɡools MC: dzʷɑ 0 Attributions
- vtoNpassivebe condemned See PUNISH
報 bào OC: puuɡs MC: pɑu 0 Attributions
Bào 報refers to the announcement of the judgment passed.
- vt[oN]HF: declare a legal judgment (and report judgment to the higher authorities)
士 shì OC: dzrɯʔ MC: ɖʐɨ 0 Attributions
- nperson in charge of judicial affairs in ancient times (皋陶 is said to have been appointed shì 士 in this sense.
理 lǐ OC: ɡ-rɯʔ MC: lɨ 0 Attributions
Lǐ 理refers to the office of the person who is professionally in charge of passing judgment, the judge.
- v[adN]judge, senior legal official; public prosecutor
當 dāng OC: taaŋ MC: tɑŋ 0 Attributions
Dāng 當 is to sit in judgment of a matter.
- vt+Vpassiveto be condemned to being V-ed
讞 yàn OC: ŋranʔ MC: ŋiɛn 0 Attributions
- vtoNreach a formal decision in a court case
理官 lǐ guān OC: ɡ-rɯʔ koon MC: lɨ kʷɑn 0 Attributions
處 chǔ OC: khljaʔ MC: tɕhi̯ɤ 0 Attributions
- vtoNpass judgement on; sentence; deal with legally
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: