REPEATED ACT CONFORMING to what is a COMMON RULE in one's GROUP.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current general word for current (but changeable) customs and habits at all levels of society, indluding the highest echelons of society is fēng 風. There is a current connotation that what are current fēng 風 are at least partly the result of some cultural policy or strategy.
2. Sú 俗 (and the rarer and much more personal xí 習 ) tend to refer to what is perceived as popular and sometimes even vulgar traditional practices. There is a current conception that the sú 俗 are quintessential in origin and essence, but in spite of this they are conceived of as changeable in principle.
3. Lǐ 禮 "ritual practice" refers to customary behaviour that is in accordance with the demands of ritual propriety. See RITUAL
HUANG JINGUI 2006
HUMAN AFFAIRS 19. 習俗。
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
104. Inter Consuescimus, assuescimus, insuescimus. [col. 22A] Consuescimus 16 bona, insuescimus mala, assuescimus utraque [ Al., utrumque].
habitus refers to a manner of living, a habit of mind and/or body.
habitudo refers typically to a physical habit.
consuetudo refers to any uniform observance of a standard of behaviour by an individual or by a group.
mos refers to reasoned observance of a standard on moral and traditional grounds.
ritus refers to the hallowed of something as ordained by the gods or other supernatural powers as obligatory ceremony, and the term typically has religious connotations.
caerimonia refers to what is habitually observed as a standard of ritual practice in serving the gods.
solere refers to any event or action occurring routinely or regularly.
consuevisse refers specifically to recurrent habitual action.
ASSUETUDO (habit, not custom, German: Gewohnheit/Gewoehnung)
Traditional Chinese basic custom-related terminology simply explained.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 淮南子 : 12
- 韓非子 : 11
- 管子 : 8
- 荀子 : 6
- 禮記 : 4
- 鹽鐵論 : 4
- 韓詩外傳 : 4
- 論語 : 3
- 百喻經 : 3
- 說苑 : 2
- 莊子 : 2
- 孝經 : 2
- 法句經 : 2
- 尚書 : 2
- 全上古三代秦漢三國六朝文（全晉文） : 1
- 春秋左傳 : 1
- 賢愚經 : 1
- 戰國策 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
- 中說 : 1
- 史記 : 1
- 文子 : 1
俗 sú OC: sɢloɡ MC: zi̯ok 30 Attributions
Sú 俗 (and the rarer and much more personal xí 習) tend to refer to what is perceived as popular and sometimes even vulgar traditional practices. There is a current conception that the sú 俗 are quintessential in origin and essence, but in spite of this they are conceived of as changeable in principle.
- nabactcurrent local custom; temporary habit
- nabpsychcurrent local opinion
風 fēng OC: plum MC: puŋ 14 Attributions
The current general word for current (but changeable) customs and habits at all levels of society, indluding the highest echelons of society is fēng 風. There is a current connotation that what are current fēng 風 are at least partly the result of some cultural policy or strategy.
- nlocal ways; current habit
- nablocal current practice
習 xí OC: sɢlɯb MC: zip 9 Attributions
- nabactcurrent practice
- nadVby custom (note that the semantics is like that of 性 "by nature")
- vtoNputativeconsider as one's custom> be accustomed to
風俗 fēng sú OC: plum sɢloɡ MC: puŋ zi̯ok 7 Attributions
- NPabacthabits, customs (also concretely referential)
- NPabactcommendable good customs
喜 xǐ OC: qhɯʔ MC: hɨ 3 Attributions
- vt+Vhave a tendency to
習俗 xí sú OC: sɢlɯb sɢloɡ MC: zip zi̯ok 3 Attributions
- NPcustoms, accustomed practices, habits
禮 lǐ OC: riiʔ MC: lei 2 Attributions
Lǐ 禮 "ritual practice" refers to customary behaviour that is in accordance with the demands of ritual propriety. See RITUAL
- nabactproper ritual practice, characteristic ritual practice (of such and such a time)
彝 yí OC: li MC: ji 1 Attribution
- nabactarchaic: practice
貫 / 貫 guàn OC: koons MC: kʷɑn guān OC: koon MC: kʷɑn 1 Attribution
- nabactfashion, custom
世習 shì xí OC: lʰebs sɢlɯb MC: ɕiɛi zip 1 Attribution
- NPabactmundane practice
時宜 shí yí OC: ɡljɯ ŋɡral MC: dʑɨ ŋiɛ 1 Attribution
- NPabactproper behaviour at a given time; customs of the time
服習 fú xí OC: bɯɡ sɢlɯb MC: buk zip 1 Attribution
- VPtoNintensitivebe thoroughly accustomed to
常 cháng OC: djaŋ MC: dʑi̯ɐŋ 0 Attributions
- nabsocialcurrent custom
慣 guàn OC: kroons MC: kɣan 0 Attributions
- vadVpost-v, SONGSHU: customarily
世法 shì fǎ OC: lʰebs pab MC: ɕiɛi pi̯ɐp 0 Attributions
- NPabsocialpopular customs; ways of one's time 宋 俞文豹 《吹劍錄外集》："講義理，別白是非，則須學術；酬酢事機，區分利害，必用世法。"
國俗 guó sú OC: kʷɯɯɡ sɢloɡ MC: kək zi̯ok 0 Attributions
- NPabsocialnational custom; custom in the state
土風 tǔ fēng OC: kh-laaʔ plum MC: thuo̝ puŋ 0 Attributions
- NPabsociallocal custom SANGUOZHI
流風 liú fēng OC: ru plum MC: lɨu puŋ 0 Attributions
- NPabsocialcurrent custom SANGUOZHI
風教 fēng jiào OC: plum kruus MC: puŋ kɣɛu 0 Attributions
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: