OBTAIN BY PAYING a PRICE FOR something.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The most current and general word for buying is mǎi 買 (ant. mài 賣 "sell").
2. Huò 貨 refers to buying as part of a larger business transaction, but the word is rare in this usage.
3. Dí 糴 (ant. tiào 糶 "sell abroad") refers to buying from another country and importing, especially rice.
4. Mào 貿 (ant. yù 鬻 "sell") refers to the professional trading in something.
5. Gū 沽 / 酤 (ant. gū 沽／酤 "sell liquor"!!) refers specifically to buying wine.
6. Shì 市 refers to going shopping for something, to buying something in the market.
HUANG JINGUI 2006
易，也指以物易物的購買，但要與 “ 交 ” 等連用。
Modern Chinese Criteria
販 refers to buying in order to resell, dealing in.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
emere refers generally to the act of acquiring the right to own something by paying a price.
mercari refers to a formalised mercantile act which concludes negotiations regarding the buying of something, the formal transaction of a bargain.
redimere can refer figuratively to the obtaining of something at a metaphorical "price".
1. As WL suggests, the two words do not belong in one synonym group in pre-Buddhist times.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 19
- 管子 : 11
- 春秋左傳 : 9
- 戰國策 : 6
- 鹽鐵論 : 5
- 賢愚經 : 5
- 史記 : 5
- 禮記 : 4
- 論衡 : 4
- 百喻經 : 4
- 論語 : 3
- 莊子 : 3
- 韓詩外傳 : 2
- 祖堂集 : 2
- 呂氏春秋 : 1
- 臨濟錄 : 1
- 六祖壇經 : 1
買 mǎi OC: mreeʔ MC: mɣɛ 58 Attributions
The most current and general word for buying is probably mǎi 買 (ant. mài 賣 "sell").
- vt(oN)ombuy the contextually determinate thing
- vt+prep+Nstativebe a buyer of, have bought
- vtoNbuy, acquire (official positions) for money; go out to buy; try to buy; buy (a person from his employer)
- vtoNfigurativeaquire by venal means 買譽
- vtoNpassiveget bought
- vttoN1.+N2buy something N2 for someone N1
- vttoN1.+N2N2=pricebuy at a price
- vttoN1.+prep+N2buy N1 from N2
酤 / 沽 gū OC: kaa MC: kuo̝ gū OC: kaa MC: kuo̝ 6 Attributions
Gū 沽/酤 (ant. gū 沽／酤 "sell liquor"!!) refers specifically to buying wine. Gū 沽/酤 (ant. gū 沽／酤 "sell liquor"!!) refers specifically to buying wine.
- vtoNbuy (wine)
- vibuy wine
- vt(oN)buy wine for the contextually determinate person
市 shì OC: djɯʔ MC: dʑɨ 5 Attributions
Shì 市 refers to going shopping for something, to buy something in the market.
- vtoNbuy in the market; buy; go shopping for
- vtoNfigurativebuy the allegiance of (a possible partner)
貿 mào OC: mblus MC: mu 4 Attributions
Mào 貿 (ant. yù 鬻 "sell") refers to the professional trading in something.
- vtoNbuy through barter
糴 dí OC: leewɡ MC: dek 3 Attributions
Dí 糴 (ant. tiào 糶 "sell abroad") refers to buying from another country and importing, especially rice.
- nabsocialtrade; sale
- viactbuy (grain) abroad
- vtoNbuy and import (grain)
- vt+prep+Nimport rice from
貰 shì OC: lʰebs MC: ɕiɛi 2 Attributions
- vtoNrare and late: buy on credit
賈 gǔ OC: kaaʔ MC: kuo̝ 2 Attributions
- vtoNfigurative"buy"> acquire at a considerable "price"
- vtoNpassivebe purchased
置 zhì OC: tɯɡs MC: ʈɨ 1 Attribution
貨 huò OC: hŋʷaals MC: hʷɑ 1 Attribution
Huò 貨 refers to buying as part of a larger business transaction, but the word is rare in this usage.
- viactengage in business; to peddle
- vtoNbuy as part of a larger business transaction
市得 shì dé OC: djɯʔ tɯɯɡ MC: dʑɨ tək 1 Attribution
- VPtoNresultativeget to buy in the market
糴買 dí mǎi OC: leewɡ mreeʔ MC: dek mɣɛ 1 Attribution
- VPtoNpassivebe bought
賈者 gǔ zhě OC: kaaʔ kljaʔ MC: kuo̝ tɕɣɛ 1 Attribution
購 gòu OC: koos MC: ku 0 Attributions
- vtoNpost-Han, Tang: purchase
躉 dǔn OC: tuunʔ MC: tuo̝n 0 Attributions
- vtoNrare: buy wholesale
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: