ALL of TWO THINGS. [GRAMMAR]
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current binary universal quantifier is liǎng 兩, which can quantify both subjects and objects.
2. Shuāng 雙 is much rarer, and the word never quantifies the object so that the word is marginal in the group.
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
uterque refers to "both" as two unities.
ambo refers to both as halves of a pair.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 30
- 禮記 : 6
- 管子 : 5
- 楚辭 : 3
- 荀子 : 2
- 陸機集十一卷 : 2
- 論語 : 2
- 戰國策 : 2
- 祖堂集 : 2
- 呂氏春秋 : 1
- 韓詩外傳 : 1
- 法句經 : 1
兩 liǎng OC: raŋʔ MC: li̯ɐŋ 55 Attributions
The current binary universal quantifier is liǎng 兩, which can quantify both subjects and objects.
- nadVsubjectboth the subjects (often indefinite) together
- vad.VtoNobjectboth the objects; two objects
- vadNpairthe pair of, the two, both 兩手，兩目，兩耳
- vadV君子兩進，小人兩廢: under both kinds of conditions
雙 shuāng OC: srooŋ MC: ʂɣɔŋ 2 Attributions
Shuāng 雙 is much rarer, and the word never quantifies the object so that the word is marginal in the group.
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: