BIG ENDURING PROPERTY.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. Yè 業 refers to typically permanent assets of significant proportions.
2. Chǎn 產 refers to considerable but not necessarily inalienable assets, typically not viewed as entirely inherited.
Modern Chinese Criteria
箱底 refers to assembled valuables, typically kept in the house.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
Old Chinese Contrasts
1. Yè 業 derives its meaning from "to inherit", "inherited occupation". ( 業其官 "inherit an office (from one's father)" ZUO Zhao 1.12). Primarily inherited "inalienable" wealth or more abstract precious inherited property is typically yè 業; assets acquired due to one's own efforts are typically chǎn 產. We have xiān jūn zhī yè 先君之業 "the rich heritage from the former ruler" ZUO Xiang 18.4
2. Chǎn 產 can be taken away from one, apparently not yè 業. In any case we have duó chǎn 奪產 and not duó yè 奪業.
3. Chǎn 產 may be héng chǎn �痦� "constant property", but it may also be impermanent. (MENG 1A7)
4. Chǎn 產 may be fairly small or large, yè 業 is always of significant proportions.
5. Chǎn 產 is something the common people have, and which the aristocracy also has. Yè 業 is only used in elevated contexts and refers to assets of great value.
6. Yè 業 is primarily connected with the working effort of past generations, while chǎn 產 is primarily connected with one's own productivity, and is semantically linked to the notions of growth and birth.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 7
- 孟子 : 3
- 禮記 : 1
- 荀子 : 1
- 春秋左傳 : 1
- 管子 : 1
- 莊子 : 1
- 淮南子 : 1
- 法言 : 1
- 文子 : 1
- 法句經 : 1
產 chǎn OC: sqreenʔ MC: ʂɣɛn 8 Attributions
Yè 業 refers to permanent assets of significant proportions. [ELEVATED?], [LASTING]
- nmproperty, means of production; livelihood
貨財 huò cái OC: hŋʷaals sɡɯɯ MC: hʷɑ dzəi 7 Attributions
- NPmnonreferentialassets, wealth
業 yè OC: ŋab MC: ŋi̯ɐp 3 Attributions
Yè 業 refers to typically permanent assets of significant proportions. [ELEVATED?], [LASTING]
- nmproperty; inheritance
財產 cái chǎn OC: sɡɯɯ sqreenʔ MC: dzəi ʂɣɛn 1 Attribution
母 mǔ OC: mɯʔ MC: mu 0 Attributions
- nmTang dynasty: the principal (ant. 子 "interest on that principal"
實 shí OC: ɢljiɡ MC: ʑit 0 Attributions
- nmassets, property; wealth
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: