SUBSTANCE USED FOR CURING OR PREVENTING DISEASES.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The general word for medicine is yào 藥, but originally this word referred specifically to herbal medicine.
2. Yuē 葯 is a specific word for the leaves of the bái zhǐ 白芷 aromatic herb.
3. Fāng 方 refers to a medical prescription.
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
medicamentum refers to a remedy with reference to its material substance, is it is prepared by the apothecary.
medicina refers to a remedy with referenc3e to its healing virtues, as ordered by a physician.
remedium refers to any remedy for evils other than illnesses as well as for illnesses.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 7
- 論衡 : 6
- 說苑 : 3
- 百喻經 : 3
- 祖堂集 : 2
- 論語 : 1
- 莊子 : 1
- 賢愚經 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
- 妙法蓮華經 : 1
- 新論-漢-桓譚 : 1
- 楚辭 : 1
藥 yào OC: k-lawɡ MC: ji̯ɐk 16 Attributions
The general word for medicine is yào 藥, but originally this word referred specifically to herbal medicine.
- nmmedicine, medication; (dig for) medicinal roots, herbs or mushrooms
- nmadNfigurativemedicinal; curative
葯 yuè OC: qplewɡ MC: ʔi̯ɐk 4 Attributions
Yuē 葯 is a specific word for the leaves of the bái zhǐ 白芷 aromatic herb.
- nmangelica anomala, aromatic herb also used in medicine
丸 wán OC: ɢoon MC: ɦʷɑn 3 Attributions
法藥 fǎ yào OC: pab k-lawɡ MC: pi̯ɐp ji̯ɐk 2 Attributions
- NPabbuddhistBUDDH: dharma-medicine (in Buddhist scriptures the Buddha-dharma is occasionally metaphorically described as 'medicine' since it saves people from suffering; see for example Guàndǐng jīng 灌頂經, T.21: 532c21-23; the section in this scripture deals with the Buddha Yàoshī Liúlíguāng Rúlái 藥師琉璃光如來 who, at the time when he was practicing as Bodhisattva, made twelve vows. The term fǎ-yào appears in the seventh vow: 第七願者。[...]若有苦惱無救護者。我為此等攝大法藥。令諸疾病皆得除愈。無復苦患至得佛道.('The seventh vow: '[...] if there are any [beings] who are afflicted by suffering, not saved and protected, I will apply the great dharma-medicine for them and cause all sicknesses to be healed, so that they will not be suffering again until they attain the Way of the Buddha.')
方 fāng OC: paŋ MC: pi̯ɐŋ 1 Attribution
Fāng 方 refers to a medical prescription.
- nabtextprescription, medical recipe
毒藥 dú yào OC: duuɡ k-lawɡ MC: duok ji̯ɐk 1 Attribution
- NPmbitter medicine
湯藥 tāng yào OC: kh-laaŋ k-lawɡ MC: thɑŋ ji̯ɐk 1 Attribution
- NPmmedical potions
劑 jì OC: dziils MC: dzei 0 Attributions
- npost-Han?: dose of medicine
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: