WALK AND JUMP RITUALLY so as to CONFORM to the RHYTHM of MUSIC; ONE OF THE ARTS.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. There is only one common word for dancing, wǔ4 舞, and this focusses mainly to the movement of the arms.
2. Dào 蹈 focusses mainly on the movements of the feet in dancing. Cf. 手舞足蹈 "dance with one's arms and dance with one's feet".
3. Yuè 樂 is sometimes used to refer specifically to dancing accompanied by music.
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 春秋左傳 : 6
- 楚辭 : 3
- 論語 : 2
- 莊子 : 2
- 毛詩 : 2
- 韓非子 : 2
- 尚書 : 2
- 漢書 : 1
- 陸機集十一卷 : 1
- 呂氏春秋 : 1
- 禮記 : 1
- 論衡 : 1
- 春秋穀梁傳 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
舞 wǔ OC: maʔ MC: mi̯o 19 Attributions
There is only one common word for dancing, wǔ4 舞, and this focusses mainly to the movement of the arms.
- nabacta dance, dancing; dancing activities
- v[adN]master of pantomimes
- viactOBI 4: dance (for rain); generally: dance (also occasionally said of animals like cranes)
- vtoNdance to (a piece of poetry/music)
- vtoNobject=ornamentsdance with N as ornaments
- nabkind of dance
萬 wàn OC: mblans MC: mi̯ɐn 3 Attributions
- nabacta kind of ritual dance (SHI)
- viactperform a pantomime
羽 yǔ OC: ɢʷaʔ MC: ɦi̯o 2 Attributions
- n[adN]row of feathered dancers
娑 suō OC: saal MC: sɑ 1 Attribution
- viactdance about
蹈 dào OC: ɡ-luus MC: dɑu 1 Attribution
Dào 蹈 focusses mainly on the movements of the feet in dancing. Cf. 手舞足蹈 "dance with one's arms and dance with one's feet".
- viactdance, engage in dancing
- vtoNLIJI: dance to celebrate (something) 舞之
仙 xiān OC: sen MC: siɛn 0 Attributions
- viactSHI: caper about, prance about; dance about
樂 yuè OC: ŋɡraawɡ MC: ŋɣɔk 0 Attributions
Yuè 樂 is sometimes used to refer specifically to dancing accompanied by music.
- nabactLSCQ 古樂, LIJI 樂記: dancing (accompanied by music)
濩 hù OC: ɢʷaaɡs MC: ɦuo̝ 0 Attributions
- nabactZUO: name of an ancient dance
蹌 qiāng OC: skhaŋ MC: tshi̯ɐŋ 0 Attributions
- viactSHU: to dance
婆娑 pó suō OC: baal saal MC: bʷɑ sɑ 0 Attributions
- VPidance; saunter
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: