RESPONSIBILITY FOR an AVOIDABLE PAST BAD ACT of one's own.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The dominant standard general word for any kind of guilt, large or small, is zuì 罪 (ant. gōng 功 "merit"), but this does not refer to any feelings of guilt; the general term for feelings of guilt is jiù 疚 REGRET.
2. Qiān 愆, (sometimes written qiān 騫 ) refers to slight guilt or responsibility for a mistake.
3. Yóu 尤 refers to the blame one suffers for a misdeed.
For zéi 賊, a dramatic derogatory term referring to abject villainy, see VILLAIN.
Modern Chinese Criteria
罪感 translates the Western notion of guilt.
犯罪感 is an expanded and perhaps slightly more common translation.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
culpa refers to guilt as the state of one who as a rational being is responsible fro an offense of any kind.
noxia is the state of one who has caused an offense for which he is not necessarily criminally responsible.
vitium refers to an action or even a qujality in aperson which is taken to deserve censure, and the word may even refer to an undeserved defect.
nocens indicates plain guilt without any judgment on character.
noxius and the poetic nocuus refer to the personal character of someone who is prone to incur guilt.
SIN AND GUILT
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 22
- 春秋左傳 : 22
- 說苑 : 9
- 孟子 : 6
- 莊子 : 3
- 論語 : 3
- 六祖壇經 : 3
- 禮記 : 2
- 呂氏春秋 : 2
- 太平經 : 2
- 管子 : 2
- 賢愚經 : 2
- 百喻經 : 2
- 春秋穀梁傳 : 1
- 孝經 : 1
- 楚辭 : 1
- 尚書 : 1
罪 zuì OC: sbuulʔ MC: dzuo̝i 48 Attributions
- nabmoralcriminal guilt; criminal responsibility; 獄決罪定
- nabspiritualguilt; moral fault
- v[adN]nonreferentialone who is guilty of a crime; culprits
- vadNcriminal (rebellion); guilty (prisoner)
- vibe guilty of a crime
- vtoNputativehold guilty of (death) 罪死
- nab(post-N)socialthe guilt of the contextually determinate person
- nab.post-NmoralN's moral mistake, N's criminal responsibility, N's fault
有罪 yǒu zuì OC: ɢʷɯʔ sbuulʔ MC: ɦɨu dzuo̝i 18 Attributions
- VP[adN]those who are guilty; the one who is guilty, the culprit
- VPibe guilty
- VPievent: turn out to be guilty; prove guilty of a crime
- VPt+prep+Nhave committed a crime against, be guilty of a crime against
死 sǐ OC: pliʔ MC: si 4 Attributions
- v[adN]nonreferentialsomeone guilty of death
- vibe guilty of death, deserve death
- vadNdeserving death
有過 yǒu guò OC: ɢʷɯʔ klools MC: ɦɨu kʷɑ 4 Attributions
- VP[adN]nonreferentialcultprit; person who has committed a transgression or a mistake
- VPibe guilty, be at fault
尤 yóu OC: ɢʷɯ MC: ɦɨu 3 Attributions
- nabactSHI 54: SHI 204 blameworthy points, faults; mistakes 亡尤
刑 xíng OC: ɡeeŋ MC: ɦeŋ 2 Attributions
- v[adN]passivesomeone guilty of physical punishment through mutilation etc.
罪咎 zuì jiù OC: sbuulʔ ɡlɯwʔ MC: dzuo̝i gɨu 2 Attributions
咎 jiù OC: ɡlɯwʔ MC: gɨu 1 Attribution
- nabpsychfeeling of guilt, remorse, self-reproof
罰 fá OC: bod MC: bi̯ɐt 1 Attribution
- v[adN]pluralthose who deserve punishment of fining
罪釁 zuì xìn OC: sbuulʔ qhrɯns MC: dzuo̝i hin 1 Attribution
- NPabfeatureprofound guilt
愆 qiān OC: khran MC: khiɛn 0 Attributions
- nabfeaturefault, mistake
- vibe at fault, be guilty of a mistake
騫 qiān OC: khran MC: khiɛn 0 Attributions
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: