ADDRESS someone so as to COMMAND that that person ACT:do something.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current word for putting forward justified legal demands on someone is zé 責, and the word refers to any demand for the fulfillment of a duty.
2. Zhēng 徵 refers to a state insisting on its legal rights and thus making demands on the people.
3. Zhū 誅 refers to a fierce legal demand for something that is construed as one's right.
4. Qiú 求 is often used to refer not to seeking something, but insistently demanding it. See also SEEK.
Modern Chinese Criteria
要求 is the current modern word for a demand.
渴求 refers to an urgent demand.
務求 refers to an important demand.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
petere refers to asking for anything, whether as request or demand.
poscere refers to demanding something, with decisiveness and with a feeling of right or power.
orare refers to asking for someting in a submissive way.
postulare refers to a wish and a will, without any enhancing accessory notion, as a quiet utterance of the will.
exigere refers to what is put forward as a just claim.
flagitare is to demand something with importunity, in consequences of a passionate and impatient eagerness.
requirere "demand" claims something as a right, assuming that the other party understands and agrees on this right.
desiderare refers to a demand based on feeling, and in particular a desire for the thing demanded, and it is basically the expression of a wish.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
vttoN1(. prep N2): 1
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 21
- 春秋左傳 : 11
- 賢愚經 : 9
- 管子 : 6
- 說苑 : 5
- 戰國策 : 4
- 禮記 : 3
- 論語 : 3
- 荀子 : 3
- 淮南子 : 2
- 陸機集十一卷 : 2
- 百喻經 : 2
- 尹文子 : 1
- 晏子春秋 : 1
- 莊子 : 1
- 孝經 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
- 韓詩外傳 : 1
求 qiú OC: ɡu MC: gɨu 25 Attributions
- vt[oN]make demands
- vtoNmake demands for
- vtoNmarriagedemand (wife)
- vttoN1.+prep+N2make demands (for something N1) from (someone N2)
- vttoN1.+prep+N2psychseek N1 from (oneself) 求諸己
- vtoVV=passivedemand to be V-ed
- vttoN1. prep N2demand to get to know about N2 from N1
責 zé OC: skreeɡ MC: ʈʂɣɛk 24 Attributions
The current word for putting forward justified legal demands on someone is zé 責, and the word refers to any demand for the fulfillment of a duty.
- vt+prep+Nmake demands on 責於
- vtoNmake demands concerning (performance of duty)
- vtoNpassivebe held responsible for, be exposed to demands
- vttoN.+Vpivotdemand of someone to V
- vttoN1.+prep+N2demand N1 from N2 責賂於鄭
- vtoNN=hummake demands (on a person)
- vttoN1(. prep N2)figurativeabstract: demand N1 from the contextually determinate N2
求索 qiú suǒ OC: ɡu saaɡ MC: gɨu sɑk 9 Attributions
- NPabactdemands of all kinds
- VPt+Vdemand to V
- VPtoNdemand (e.g. for marriage)
徵 zhēng OC: tɯŋ MC: ʈɨŋ 8 Attributions
Zhēng 徵 refers to a state insisting on its legal rights and thus making demands on the people.
- vtoNdemand (evidence, knowledge etc)???; (of states) demand, require (taxes etc)
債 / 責 zhài OC: skreeɡs MC: ʈʂɣɛ zé OC: skreeɡ MC: ʈʂɣɛk 2 Attributions
- vt[oN]zé demand repayment of debt
要 yāo OC: qew MC: ʔiɛu 2 Attributions
- vtoNN=humanmake demands on
誅 zhū OC: to MC: ʈi̯o 2 Attributions
Zhū 誅 refers to a fierce legal demand for something that is construed as one's right.
- vttoN1.+prep+N2demand (something N1) from (someone N2) 誅屨於徒人費
往債 wǎng zhài OC: ɢʷaŋʔ skreeɡs MC: ɦi̯ɐŋ ʈʂɣɛ 2 Attributions
- VPt[oN]go somewhere to demand repayment of debt
刻 kè OC: khɯɯɡ MC: khək 1 Attribution
- vtoNmake harsh demands upon
- vtoNpsychmake hard demands upon (oneself); be harsh on (oneself)
怒 nù OC: naas MC: nuo̝ 1 Attribution
- viactbe fierce in making demands and holding people responsible for what they have promised
責 zé 1 Attribution
- vtoNfigurativeinsist on finding out about; demand to fully understand
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: