FIRE USED AS a SIGNAL.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. Fēng 烽 refers to the signal fire used to give smoke signals in daytime.
2. Suì 燧 refers to the signal fire used to give signals at nighttime.
NB: Traditionally there have been two diametrically opposing views on this.
HUANG JINGUI 2006
WARFARE 23. 漢時白日所舉的烽、表、煙，可以總稱為烽，夜間所燔的積薪與苣火總稱為燧。南北朝起，漢之草烽、布烽業已廢止，唯有煙火， “ 烽 ” 除稱煙，亦可稱苣火。唐時， “ 烽 ” 已包括漢 “ 烽、燧 ” 之義，成為烽燧總稱。至於 “ 燧 ” ，漢以後可單用指亭燧之苣火；泛稱邊境報警的烽火。
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
fax is the general word for a torch.
taeda is a natural pine torch.
funale is an artificial wax torch.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 鹽鐵論 : 1
烽燧 fēng suì OC: phoŋ sɢluds MC: phi̯oŋ zi 1 Attribution
- NPbeacon system
烽 fēng OC: phoŋ MC: phi̯oŋ 0 Attributions
Fēng 烽 refers to the signal fire used to give smoke signals in daytime.
- nMO: beacon-fire, signal fire with which to give smoke signals in daytime
燧 suì OC: sɢluds MC: zi 0 Attributions
Suì 燧 refers to the signal fire used to give signals at nighttime.
- ntorch, signal fire for use during the night
烽戍 fēng shù OC: phoŋ qhjos MC: phi̯oŋ ɕi̯o 0 Attributions
- NPbeacon fire; places with beacon fire
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: