ACT, BUT DOUBT WHETHER one WILL be SUCCESSFUL ACTING.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The current general word for trying is shì 試, but the word generally refers to brief attempts rather than a concerted lasting campaign.
2. Cháng 嘗 "make an attempt at" typically takes nominal objects, and the attempt referred to is typically of a transient kind.
3. Qiú 求 refers to a sustained attempt to achieve a result.
NB: There are apparently no nominal uses of any of these words. It will be interesting to find a case of a nominalised "attempt".
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
CONATUS est ad aliqvid efficiendum virium intensio. Reqv. 1. aliquid bonum, arduum tamen 2. qvod tamen superatu speratur possibile. 3. si vires intendantur.
Ax. 1. Failia conatu non egent.
2. Ubi nulla spes superandi, nullus conatus.
3. ardua sino conatu non superantur.
Opus qvo magis arduum, eo intensionem reqvirit majorem.
tentare refers to making an experiment in order to form a judgment of something, from a desire of knowledge.
peiclitari refers to making an experiment with courage and contempt of the danger associated with the experiment.
experiri is merely to learn something by trying it out.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 12
- 春秋左傳 : 10
- 論語 : 5
- 臨濟錄 : 5
- 祖堂集 : 5
- 呂氏春秋 : 2
- 戰國策 : 2
- 說苑 : 1
- 禮記 : 1
- 論衡 : 1
- 賢愚經 : 1
- 百喻經 : 1
- 朱子語類 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
- 法集要頌經 : 1
- 妙法蓮華經 : 1
- 六祖壇經 : 1
求 qiú OC: ɡu MC: gɨu 23 Attributions
Qiú 求refers to a sustained attempt to achieve a result.
- vt+Vseek to, make every effort to V 求仙 "try to become an immortal" 求及
- vt+Vcopulatry to become
- vt+VV=passivetry to be V-ed
試 shì OC: lʰɯɡs MC: ɕɨ 15 Attributions
The current general word for trying is shì 試, but the word generally refers to brief attempts rather than a concerted lasting campaign.
- vt+Vtry to, make an effort to
- vtoNtry (a task etc)
看 kàn OC: khaans MC: khɑn 7 Attributions
- vpostadVrequestV and investigate > try to V, V and see what happens (already appearing in sūtra translations of the Sui period (see LI WEIQI 2004: 194); the verbal phrase it follows can be complex and consist of a vt+N; in the colloquial language of the Tang this construction became increasingly popular, expressing mild requests; sometimes also defined as sentence final particle)
嘗試 cháng shì OC: djaŋ lʰɯɡs MC: dʑi̯ɐŋ ɕɨ 4 Attributions
- VPt+prep+Nattempt to do something for N
- VPt+Vtry (to do something)
- VPtoNtry (something) out
嘗 cháng OC: djaŋ MC: dʑi̯ɐŋ 2 Attributions
Cháng 嘗 "make an attempt at" typically takes nominal objects, and the attempt referred to is typically of a transient kind.
- vt(+V)try to do the contextually determinate thing
- vtoNmake an attempt at, give a try
- vt+Vtry to V
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: