RELATION of one PLACE to TWO PLACES IN EXACTLY CONTRARY DIRECTIONS, OR the PLACE that has THESE RELATIONS.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. The standard (semi-grammaticalised) word is jiān 間 which refers to anything interposed between two things.
2. Jì 際 is a dignified term for the area in space or time where different things meet.
3. Zhōng 中 which regularly means "in the middle of" can occasionally come to be used in place of jiān 間 "between".
Modern Chinese Criteria
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
Old Chinese Contrasts
LEIBNIZ 6.4 P. 36: I n t e r duo est, per quod ab uno ad aliud simplicissimo processu vel naturali ordine transitur, vel reapse, vel cogitatione saltem.
Attributions by syntactic funtion
npost-.N1 N2: 1
Attributions by text
- 春秋左傳 : 6
- 韓非子 : 5
- 荀子 : 2
- 臨濟錄 : 2
- 孟子 : 2
- 論語 : 1
- 論衡 : 1
- 鹽鐵論 : 1
- 莊子 : 1
- 淮南子 : 1
- 老子 : 1
- 祖堂集 : 1
- 楚辭 : 1
間 jiān OC: kreen MC: kɣɛn 16 Attributions
The standard (semi-grammaticalised) word is jiān 間 which refers to anything interposed between two things.
- n(post-N)what is between the N
- npost-Nplaceinterstice, opening; place between transferred: opportunity;
- npost.N1+N2placethe space between
- vtoNbe between, come in between
- vtt+prep+.N1+N2to lie between N1 and N2; to be wedged between N1 and N2
際 jì OC: skeds MC: tsiɛi 4 Attributions
Jì 際 is a dignified term for the area in space or time where different things meet.
- nttinterface, the point where two spheres or eras meet 天地之際
介 jiè OC: kreeds MC: kɣɛi 2 Attributions
- vadVbeing placed between two things ZUO 介居大國之間
- vt+prep+Nbe wedged between
中間 zhōng jiān OC: krluŋ kreen MC: ʈuŋ kɣɛn 2 Attributions
- NPabtemporalperiod inbetween > period
閒 jiān MC: kean OC: kreen 1 Attribution
- npost-.N1 N2= 間; between N1 and N2
中 zhōng OC: krluŋ MC: ʈuŋ 0 Attributions
- nwhat is between
隔 gé OC: kreeɡ MC: kɣɛk 0 Attributions
- vtoNbe between
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: