CUT into METAL, WOOD, OR JADE so as to PRODUCE WRITING OR a BEAUTIFUL PATTERN.
Old Chinese Criteria
1. Kè 刻 tends to be primarily to engrave in wood or ivory.
2. Diāo 彫 refers to any form of engraving on or in any material, including jade and stone.
3. Lòu 鏤 refers to engraving in metal only.
Modern Chinese Criteria
刻 is the current word for engraving.
雕刻 refers to engraving any pattern.
銘刻 refers to engraving an inscription.
rough draft to BEGIN TO identify synonym group members for analysis, based on CL etc. 18.11.2003. CH ／
Attributions by syntactic funtion
Attributions by text
- 韓非子 : 11
- 春秋左傳 : 7
- 史記 : 5
- 祖堂集 : 3
- 荀子 : 2
- 論語 : 1
- 管子 : 1
- 孟子 : 1
- 文子 : 1
刻 kè OC: khɯɯɡ MC: khək 9 Attributions
Kè 刻 tends to be primarily to engrave in wood or ivory.
- vtoNcarve in wood; carve into stone
- vtoNpassivebe carved
- vtt(oN1.)+prep+N2incscribe contextually determinate material N1 on (writing material N2)
銘 míng OC: meeŋ MC: meŋ 7 Attributions
- vt+prep+Nmiddle voiceget engraved (on metal and stone 銘乎金石)
- vtoNengrave writing in metal on the subject N
敦雕琱 / 雕 / 琱 OC: MC: diāo OC: tɯɯw MC: teu diāo OC: tɯɯw MC: teu 6 Attributions
- vtoNengrave, carve patterns into a surface
- vadNcarved, engraved
- vtoNpassivebe engraved; be engraved with (patterns); be carved into
彫 diāo OC: tɯɯw MC: teu 3 Attributions
Diāo 彫 refers to any form of engraving on or in any material, including jade and stone.
- vtoNengrave, embellish with engravings
鏤 lòu OC: ɡ-roos MC: lu 3 Attributions
Lòu 鏤 refers to engraving in metal only.
- vadNcarved; engraved
- vtoNengrave (any pattern) in metal, carve metal
- vtoNpassivebe engraved
勒 lè OC: ɡ-rɯɯɡ MC: lək 2 Attributions
- vtoNengrave (characters)
削 xiāo OC: smewɡ MC: si̯ɐk 1 Attribution
- vtoNcut into so as to create an engraving
鍥 / 挈 qiè OC: kheed MC: khet qiè OC: kheed MC: khet 1 Attribution
- vtoNengrave or carve in wood or bone
- vt[oN]engagein engraving
琢 zhuó OC: rtooɡ MC: ʈɣɔk 0 Attributions
Zhuó 琢 means to create a product by carving; in this case, the quality of work is finer than in that of cuō 磋.
追 zhuī OC: krlul MC: ʈi 0 Attributions
- vtoNto carve
鐫 juān OC: tson MC: tsiɛn 0 Attributions
- vtoNchisel into, engrave
Existing SW for
Here are Syntactic Words already defined in the database: